Upon graduating from a prestigious University I have spent the past twenty years working as a Corporate Lawyer. I have travelled the world and some of my clients are amongst the wealthiest in the world. I believed I gave my clients the best value by gaining a deep understanding of their business including their objectives and challenges. I was a key member of an expert team who could guide a business to the most efficient and beneficial solution.
Now I have walked away from this life in the fast lane. I plan to live in a van and revive my creative pulse.
What I Did: I was a member of a team who were engaged in:
- business structuring and succession – including companies, trusts, partnerships and many shapes of co-investment,
- sales and acquisitions of businesses (shares or assets), including transaction due diligence and risk advice,
- business services agreements including advising on and documenting day to day legal arrangements,
- governance and corporate management advice including guidance for directors and business operators, shareholder and board meeting procedures and voting
- shareholder interests and disputes,
- corporate transactions and restructures including share issues and buybacks, capital raisings or reductions, rights issues and similar transactions,
- shareholders and joint venture arrangements,
- advice to trustees and beneficiaries,
- capital and finance advice including debt and securities,
- tax advice, and
- intellectual property rights and protection.
The role of a corporate lawyer is to ensure the legality of commercial transactions, advising corporations on their legal rights and duties, including the duties and responsibilities of corporate officers. The practice of corporate law is generally less adversarial than that of trial law but to stay on top one has to relinquish any private life and work twenty four seven.
What I Want to Do:
I am not sure exactly what I will do but I no longer want to burn both ends of the candle and engage in what can only be described as competitive warfare. I want to live as creatively as possible and perhaps find true love.